Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Maybelline Color Whisper Lipstick Review & Swatches

 photo editphoto1stmaybelline_zps5e9fc3fc.jpg
I feel like I've tried a million lip products this season. All of them new, unique, & most of them rather impressive. The Maybelline Color Whispers are definitely different & filled a void many people found in the Revlon Lip Butters. Personally, I think they're completely different products but for those looking for sheer, moisturizing color & didn't find them in the Revlon Lip Butters the Maybelline Color Whispers are becoming a big hit. Clearly I had to get in on it too.
 photo DSCN3935_zpse3fbb9fc.jpg
Pure color pigments suspended in a weightless gel. No heavy waxes or oils. Soft, sexy gel-color. 

 photo DSCN3938_zpsbc1c01eb.jpg
The packaging on these is similar to many of the other Maybelline Color Sensational options (see the Maybelline Vivid Lipstick swatches & review here)  except that the outer lid corresponds to the shade inside. This is very similar to the Revlon Lip Butters. I find no fault with this type of packaging although I definitely feel like it leans drugstore. Not an issue for me. The base & tube are silver & these simply twist up.

 photo DSCN3960_zps0511f0bb.jpg
 photo DSCN3948_zps641a2d2a.jpg
 photo DSCN3956_zps4a9ca62e.jpg
Mad for Magenta- Medium magenta tinged pink.

Who Wore It Red-er- A very pink toned red. Leans more pink on my lips.

A Plum Prospect- Soft berry with a bit of brightness. Most pigmented.

Pink Possibilities- Baby pink which looks a bit creamy.

I find these to be more pigmented than the L'Oreal Caresse lippies that I personally own but not as moisturizing as those or the Maybelline Baby Lips. The texture of these shades is definitely a jelly. In fact, if you've ever had to clean jelly off a table these look super similar. They feel a bit like that on the lips as well so they provide some moisture but not loads.

The color payoff on these varies & I feel like they are mostly decent when you apply a few layers. You do need a mirror, don't expect you don't with the deeper or brighter shades. I've heard some people say their shades smell like candy or fruity pebbles...I smell fruity pebbles on some & no scent at all on others. I prefer this to the scent of the original Maybelline Color Sensational lipsticks either way.

As far as wear goes, I find that the shine doesn't last as long as with the Revlon Lip Butters. It fades more quickly. I find that the pigmentation on these is great for what they are supposed to do. Notice above that Maybelline calls them a weightless gel & not a full form lipstick. I like that with one or two swipes, I have sheer color. A few more & my lips definitely look more saturated.

I like these but they don't kill the Revlon Lip Butters for me. If I'm going to use a mirror anyway, I'll likely still reach for those out of habit. For moisture, I'll still reach for a tinted lib balm like those from Burt's Bees, Palladio, or Maybelline Baby Lips. They don't have as many color options as the Whispers or as glossy looking but they feel like they do more. I like these for a more sheer color though, especially Plum Prospect since some plums can be so overwhelmingly fall/winter.

What do you think of the Maybelline Color Whispers? Have you tried them? What are your favorite shades?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

Blogging tips